Symphony Hall Inside Out is Symphony Hall’s annual ‘free festival for everyone’, attracting new people to Symphony Hall by curating “unexpected sounds in unexpected spaces”.
As lead programmer and producer, I was responsible for the overall curation, programming and producing of the festival, as well as leading the Inside Out Working Group consisting of representatives from various departments across Symphony Hall.
Programme highlights from the 2017 and 2018 festivals included:
- Orchestra Pit Sessions: Classical Clubnight & Drum and Bass Sessions – working with artists (London-based DJ Mr Switch from contemporary classical label Nonclassical and Birmingham-based DJ HEADGEAR) to turn the Symphony Hall Orchestra Pit into a clubnight presenting classical and drum and bass DJ sets.
- Visual takeover – collaborating with visual artist collective Digbeth Arts Market to identify, commission, and develop design briefs for five local visual artists to create visual art from inside the Symphony Hall Box Office windows and along the Foyer glass panels.
- Loading Dock Gigs – working with local and UK artists across various genres (including classical, jazz, gospel, soul, afro fusion, afrobeat, funk, pop, ska) and the internal production team to transform Symphony Hall’s industrial Loading Dock space into a gig space.
- Dressing Room Discoveries – collaborating with specialists in set design, costume, lighting, and catering to create immersive experiences in Symphony Hall’s dressing rooms (e.g. Aristocracy Room, Forest Room, Futuristic Room, Speakeasy), and working with a range of musicians (early music, folk, electroacoustic, and jazz respectively).
- Conduct Your Own Orchestra – collaborating with community orchestra The People’s Orchestra to facilitate public sessions for young people to experience conducting a full orchestra performing their favourite theme tunes from film or TV.
- Street Food Village – partnering with Birmingham’s original street food event producer Digbeth Dining Club, to transform Symphony Hall’s outdoor car park into a street food village.